Friday, March 22, 2013

March 30th Blue Licks Easter Egg Hunt


Traditions. Whether it be something as simple as spending a little extra time in bed every Saturday morning or gathering for a huge family reunion, we all have them. My dad has a tradition that he's started over the past 10 years or so of collecting refrigerator magnets from the places he visits. He's gathered quite the collection that has not only filled the refrigerator but has spilled over into their entry way. He has magnets from nearly every state in the nation and even some from across the Atlantic. Another tradition that is one of my favorites is during Christmas. It lets me know how much my father and I are alike. It doesn't matter how old my brother and I get, but every year at Christmas my father gives us.....a toy....I know. It seems childish, but for me, its a way for my brother, my father and I to keep from having to be a grown-up for just a minute. Whether it's a nerf gun, radio controlled helicopter, or rubberband gun, (Just a few from the past few years,) It's a chance for my brother and I to bond with my father and just for a second, make it feel like we're all still "home."

A tradition for many families is the tried and true Easter egg hunt. I'm sure we all have memories of these as a kid. Mine involves, you guess it, a state park. When I was young, my father would have a huge Easter egg hunt at the park he worked at. I can remember the kitchen hard boiling hundreds upon hundreds of eggs, dyeing them, and hiding them around the lodge. I never actually hunted the eggs, but I would always help hide them. Children from all over would come to the park each year to hunt the eggs. Now for the rest of the story......In the following weeks after the annual hunt, it became obvious how many eggs never got found, there would be the slight smell of rotting eggs in the air for about a month. Now I don't think he planned it that way, but I'm thinking maybe my sense of humor is similar to my fathers because I still get a chuckle just thinking about that now.

The Easter Egg Hunt here at Blue Licks has become a local tradition for many families in the area. It's been really great for me to watch many of the same children coming back year after year and how much they've grown during my time here, even watching former employees bring their own children to participate. I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you and your family to visit us on March 30th at 11a.m. to start a family tradition of your own. Several of us here at Blue Licks including employees and volunteers will be hiding 2,000 Easter Eggs. Don't worry, they're plastic candy filled, not hard boiled. We'll have 4 different age categories including 0-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12 with a chance for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place egg in each category. Each prize egg found will receive a prize basket filled with goodies from the Worthington Lodge gift shop.

Just remember though, we will start the hunt at exactly 11am, so you'll want to be sure to be there early so you can find your age category. For additional information on the Easter Egg hunt here at Blue Licks, or maybe even share a Kentucky State Park tradition of your own, contact me HERE.